Saturday, May 2, 2009

Honky Tonkin' Weekend!

Jess & I spent part of the week in Nashville, Tennessee. I had to attend a conference for work but we had some fun crazy nights full of excitement. Out hotel was across the street from Vanderbilt University and we decided to take a walk and get some grub to find Jason Mraz & Dave Matthews Band were in concert and bought tickets from scalpers. Good concert!After we went for some yummy ice cream cones at Maggie Moo's. This ended up becomming a nightly ritual for every night we were there. On the third afternoon we went to The Hermitage which was Andrew Jacksons home/plantation. He had many slaves and made a fortune off of the 500 acres on cotton fields he had picked by them. But he had over 1100 acres of land to tend and care for. Ugh. I can hardley manage our home. But it was a neat experience to learn about the history of the servants and the time period and his plantation.
Andrew Jackson and his wife were burried in their back yard.
This is the grave site.

We were able to take a horse carriage ride around the land
and hear more about what took place there.

Back to down town & old town. 3 blocks from our hotel was this neat park that had an exact replica of t4he Parthanon. So we went to check that out.
One nice thing about Nashville was it was very clean and felt very safe at
all hours of the day & night.



The second night we hit downtown and ate at the world famous Wild Horse Saloon. It was so fun. We ate, country danced, and line danced all while watching and listening to some live country. Fun and crazy seen!


Jess' wild horse
Downtown has so many different places to eat, dance, and listen to all of the country singing wannabe's trying to make it. Such a fun environment!

On the last night our hotel was hosting a charity auction/wine tasting event. Little did we know when we were walking through the lobby that it would be entertaining a handful of celebrities and country singers. The list included
Kellie Pickler, Steven Baldwin, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Michelle Branch, Big N' Rich, Raskel Flatts, & Amy Grant, and more. I was able to get a few pics
with some of them and spend a little time chatting it up in the womens restroom. Cool but a little strange. Kellie PicklerMichelle Branch
Amy Grant
Martina McBride

Big Kenny from "Big and Rich"

Hanging out in the bathroom with all sorts. Men, women, celebrities, and singers. And let me tell you...some of those conversations were definately not what I expected.

8 comments:

shannon said...

HELLO! So fun!!!! I didn't realize you were hanging with celebrities!!!!
Love it!!

oodlesofoversons said...

I love that you partied like a country rockstar in nashville! Miss you!

The Murphy's said...

Gee whiz, I have a celebrity daughter and son...so happy that you had such a great time. I think I had more fun with Jessi and Kaleb

anna said...

Wow! I love your pictures! What a cool experience and I am jealous, I love Martina McBride and Faith Hill. I am glad that you and Jess and a great time.

Carrie said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! How cool that you hung with the celebs in the bathroom.

Megan said...

Hey, I am so jealous. Looks like so much fun. And why is it that mom can comment on yours but she always emails me to leave a comment. Tell her to leave comments for me too. :)

Unknown said...

What in the sam hill are you guys doing in Nashville and the south? I never knew you made such a trip. Awesome. How was Ol' Hickory's place? One of the best Presidents ever, the bankers hated him, and attempted to take his life on a few occassions. How cool you dropped in there.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.